[Nix-dev] hitting maximum number of hard links on btrfs

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 09:32:31 CET 2012

On 10/31/2012 12:14 AM, Mathijs Kwik wrote:
> So btrfs has a soft limit, depending on file name/path length, which
> only kicks in in this special situation where you have many hard links
> to a file in the same directory.
> Given nix's special behavior in /nix/store/.links, I think this is the problem.
>
> Do I need to worry about this message?
> As in, store corruptions? Inability to garbage-collect later on?
> Or does this just mean I will have a few more duplicate files in store
> that can't be duped?

This shouldn't lead to any corruption. Anyway, you can check it by
nix-store --verify --check-contents. I'm running into hard-link limit on
btrfs for a long time without any problems, especially empty files did
that for me...

I didn't know it was done in one directory, though. I suppose
/nix/store/.links only exists during the process as I don't have it.

Vlada