[Nix-dev] NixOS on systemd

Eelco Dolstra eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com
Tue Sep 11 17:07:14 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 05/09/12 15:59, Mathijs Kwik wrote:

> Apart from a bunch of services that I need to change to proper units,
> my main issue has to do with a tmpfs on /tmp.
> In configuration.nix, "fileSystems" contains:
>
>     { mountPoint = "/tmp";
>       device = "tmpfs";
>       fsType = "tmpfs";
>       options = "size=10g,mode=1777";
>     }
>
> Booting with systemd takes over 2 minutes (as opposed to 9sec).
> Looking at the journal, I see this is due to a timeout:
>
> Sep 05 21:44:16 bluebook systemd[1]: Job tmpfs.device/start timed out.

Thanks, I've fixed this.  The reason was that systemd tries to fsck a filesystem
if the passno field is set in /etc/fstab (and thus waits for tmpfs.device to
appear).

> About changing services to units...
> Do you want us to send pull requests against edolstra/systemd ?

Yes please. Once it's more stable I'll move it to the main NixOS repo.

> Or have you planned another migration-path, like enabling systemd
> config options on nixos/master, so people can switch back and forth?

No, supporting Upstart and systemd in the same branch sounds hard.

--
Eelco Dolstra | LogicBlox, Inc. | http://nixos.org/~eelco/