[Nix-dev] NixOS on systemd

Eelco Dolstra eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com
Thu Sep 13 01:03:05 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 11/09/12 16:07, Mathijs Kwik wrote:

>>> To reply to myself:
>>> loginctl list-users and list-sessions don't show any users or sessions.
>>> As I run a custom X11 env (auto.enable, no dm, just .xsession), I
>>> think I somehow need to register a session with systemd.
>>
>> Aha, that explains it.  We need to make sure that the pam_systemd.so PAM module
>> is used when the session is created.  Slim and kdm do this, but not the auto module.
>
> I'm not very familiar with PAM, but does this mean we need some kind
> of program that registers itself with PAM?

Well, the "auto" module calls "su" which creates a PAM session.  We could enable
pam_systemd for "su", but that's probably not desirable because a "su" process
is generally not a separate session for logind purposes.

> For now, I can just use Slim, which has an auto-login option as well,
> but as I don't use the graphical / displaymanager part, this probably
> costs performance.

Probably the easiest solution is to implement the "auto" module using SLiM. It's
very lightweight and has few dependencies, so the performance cost should be
negligible.

--
Eelco Dolstra | LogicBlox, Inc. | http://nixos.org/~eelco/