[Nix-dev] NixOS on systemd

Mathijs Kwik mathijs at bluescreen303.nl
Sun Sep 16 22:06:06 CEST 2012

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 9:35 PM, Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de> wrote:
> Excerpts from Mathijs Kwik's message of Sun Sep 16 21:22:07 +0200 2012:
>> @Marc Weber
>> You asked about a list of advantages for switching to systemd.
>
> So can you shutdown mysql if its no longer needed - until a new
> connection is made?

I think that belongs to the possibilities. Not sure if the
functionality is there yet though.
If you have a way to trigger "no longer needed", systemd can indeed
shut down mysql and keep the socket alive to activate mysql again on
connection. It's just the "no longer needed" part that I think you
have to do yourself.

> Well - if all people think the same - and if the systemd branch works
> reasonable well - it should be the default - and upstart should be
> maintained for a short while if necessary.

No need to rush. Maintaining 2 branches for some time is not that
hard, as there don't seem to be a lot of changes to service-configs
anyway.

> I'll join the effort - is there any task you left to be done I should
> start with?

I just started converting some services I maintain / use.
My todo list (for the moment) still contains postfix, openvpn
(including "instances") and probably resolvconf with units per
interface.

I suggest you just do something similar and pick other services.
Mysql comes to mind. I don't use that very much.

After the services have been converted, I think we should make a list
of current startup tasks nixos has scripts for that can be replaced by
default (c) systemd tools.

But don't rush of just yet. Let's hear what Eelco has to say about his plans.
Not sure if he agrees with replacing preStart with systemActivation
and adding the low-level options I did.