[Nix-dev] gem nix writes sha256 = "no hash"

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sun Aug 11 16:13:09 CEST 2013

> The number of packages doesn't mean much to me (unless there is one
> package per .nix file?),
If you have to download them (always) when getting nixpkgs they may make
a difference. So having them separate is a better choice IMHO.

I like being able to use a package descriptions without waiting.
the gem-to-nix requires waiting.

The problem gets bigger if you notice than
A-1.0 > B-2

Then you notice you don't need latest B-2, but B-1.9.
Then you *rerun* and wait. I only add this one version constraint and
I'm done. Eg something like this: (force version 2.0):

> >           let ro = (pkgs.overlay "ruby");
> >           in ro.rubyEnv19 {
> >             name = "emproxy";
> >             p = {
                  "eventmachine": ["2.0"];
> >             };
> >             names = [
> >               "eventmachine"
> >               "rspec"
> >               "em-http-request"
> >               "ansi"
> >               "rake"
> >               "posix-spawn"
> >             ];
> >           };

I'm more interested in knowing how big the
> dump is. 20 MiB?

du -hs . says: 793M (without running git gc).
Yes, its bad. And I want to write a solution for that once I have time.
Nobody is going to pay me, so it has to wait.
Using latest rev only (shallow clone) it should be less.

It got many of my jobs done - and it is "experimental".

Marc Weber