[Nix-dev] VirtualBox causes (host) kernel error "general protection fault: 0000 [#1] SMP"

Bjørn Forsman bjorn.forsman at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 20:13:37 CEST 2013

On 15 August 2013 00:43, Eelco Dolstra <eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 14/08/13 23:22, Bjørn Forsman wrote:
>
>> All my VirtualBox machines now consistently cause a kernel stack trace
>> (in my physical NixOS machine) when trying to start them. Rebooting
>> and nix-channel --update && nixos-rebuild switch doesn't change it.
>> Does anyone else have that? New machines also cause crash when
>> booting.
>
> You probably have KVM active.  It's okay for the KVM kernel module to be loaded,
> but there should be no active QEMU instance using it.

Thanks for the info! That must have been it. I stopped
libvirtd.service, had some transient VirtualBox issue:

  VT-x/AMD-V hardware acceleration has been enabled, but is not
operational. Your 64-bit guest will fail to detect a 64-bit CPU and
will not be able to boot.
  Please ensure that you have enabled VT-x/AMD-V properly in the BIOS
of your host computer.

Then I rebooted and VirtualBox is working fine now.