[Nix-dev] Down with /bin/sh!

Rob Vermaas rob.vermaas at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 17:00:50 CET 2013

Hi Ludo,

  • Right after unpacking a source tarball, all the source files go
>     through ‘patch-shebang’, which replaces any #!/bin/sh and similar
>     with the right path.

I would not like such a change in stdenv of nixpkgs, without an option to
disable this. For example, we use nix to build some packages that run
outside of nix, and for those, we do not want to replace all the references
to /bin/sh in all source files/scripts. I haven't thought of it much, but
in general I would like an approach better that would *not* change the
source code of packages by default, but only when it is really necessary.

Cheers,
Rob

--
Rob Vermaas