[Nix-dev] [***SPAM***] var directory

Christopher Howard christopher.howard at frigidcode.com
Tue Jan 8 19:47:39 CET 2013

Hi. As mentioned, I did a Nix install to a regular user account, to see
if it could be done (I intend to use Nix on some work computers, which I
do not have root access on). I installed my first package yesterday
(bsd-games, thanks for the help).

I was wondering, in building the software, how does Nix handle the
location of /var? I know that software built with autotools usually
allows one to change the location of the local state directory. Does Nix
change this to some new location?

I am wondering about this because some of the bsd-games are expecting to
have access to directory /var/games, which does not exist on my system.
I imagine that path is hard coded into the old bsd-games code, but I
thought I should learn more about the issue anyway before installing
more packages.

--
frigidcode.com