[Nix-dev] [***SPAM***] var directory

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 21:03:45 CET 2013

Hi.

On 01/08/2013 07:47 PM, Christopher Howard wrote:
> I was wondering, in building the software, how does Nix handle the
> location of /var? I know that software built with autotools usually
> allows one to change the location of the local state directory. Does Nix
> change this to some new location?

Handling of such things is per-package. However, generally we emphasize
purity: all files created at install-time are immutable, and the rest
should be per-user (probably under $HOME or /tmp). Maybe there are some
exceptions, but we certainly strive to split files this way as much as
possible.

Vlada