[Nix-dev] [***SPAM***] HYDRA_DISALLOW_UNFREE=1 allows to install the Linux kernel from kernel.org

Shea Levy shea at shealevy.com
Sat Jan 12 15:57:22 CET 2013

Hello,

HYDRA_DISALLOW_UNFREE was designed for our buildfarm, where "unfree"
means "not legally distributable". Since the kernel is legal to
distribute despite the binary firmware blobs (I assume that's your
objection?), HYDRA_DISALLOW_UNFREE will block it.

In general, there's no automatic way to detect what is free and what is
not, especially considering people's different definitions.
HYDRA_DISALLOW_UNFREE depends on packagers specifying the license when
they add an unfree package. If someone were to take the time to add meta
attributes to each package that is free by their standards (or to every
one that is not), it would be pretty easy to then provide a way for them
to ensure their system only has those packages, but that initial work is
not trivial.

Cheers,
Shea Levy