[Nix-dev] Systemd network interface names

Eelco Dolstra eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com
Mon Jan 14 12:20:30 CET 2013

Hi,

On 12/01/13 16:01, Peter Simons wrote:

> the issue was caused by the new version of udev: my 'eth0' device is now
> called 'enp4s0'. Because of this change, my network configuration
> wouldn't come up correctly. After fixing the name in configuration.nix,
> everything works fine again.

Ah yes, I wanted to send a heads-up about this.  Systemd 197 introduced a new
naming scheme for network interfaces, described here:

  http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames

This causes names like "eth0" or "wlan0" to change to (for example) "eno1" or
"wlp3s0".  These names have the advantage of being stable across reboots (e.g.
you don't have eth0 and eth1 randomly flipping after a reboot).

We may want to have an option to disable this scheme for people who need the old
names.

--
Eelco Dolstra | LogicBlox, Inc. | http://nixos.org/~eelco/