[Nix-dev] dead sources

Eelco Dolstra eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com
Tue Jan 15 21:10:58 CET 2013

Hi,

On 06/01/13 17:41, Mathijs Kwik wrote:

> b) have sources available from nixos.org

Nixpkgs' fetchurl already has a mechanism for that, namely the content-addressed
mirror at http://nixos.org/tarballs.  (Whenever it wants to download a file with
a certain hash, it will first try http://nixos.org/tarballs/<hash-algo>/<hash>.
 However, if it's a mirror://... URL, it will try the original mirrors first,
and only if those fail, it will try the content-addressed mirror.)

However, I updated this mirror only very rarely.  I've now set up a cron job to
download every new tarball referenced from nixpkgs/pkgs/top-level/release.nix
every night.  It uses HYDRA_DISALLOW_UNFREE to prevent unfree files from being
mirrored.

This should make reproducibility when building from source much better.

--
Eelco Dolstra | LogicBlox, Inc. | http://nixos.org/~eelco/