[Nix-dev] "svn-revision" empty / nixos channel as branch?

Florian Friesdorf flo at chaoflow.net
Mon Jan 21 05:12:07 CET 2013

Hi,

so far "svn-revision" was giving the nixos and nixpkgs SHA forming the
channel. With the latest update, this file is empty:

% cat /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels-22-link/nixos/nixos/svn-revision
4042_e201da3-ff461b0

% cat /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels-23-link/nixos/nixos/svn-revision

I'm using the file to maintain branches "channel-nixos" of nixos and
nixpkgs, so I can develop new features based on a supposedly more stable
base.

Now as the channel only consists of nix expressions, no Manifest files
anymore, wouldn't it be sane to maintain it as a repository?

One repo with nixos and nixpkgs as submodules?
Or probably better: nixpkgs as submodule of nixos?

regards
florian
--
Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net>
  GPG FPR: 7A13 5EEE 1421 9FC2 108D  BAAF 38F8 99A3 0C45 F083
Jabber/XMPP: flo at chaoflow.net
IRC: chaoflow on freenode,ircnet,blafasel,OFTC