[Nix-dev] "svn-revision" empty / nixos channel as branch?

Florian Friesdorf flo at chaoflow.net
Tue Jan 22 22:17:05 CET 2013

revisions are back:
  /nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos/nixos/svn-revision
nixos revision:   64ffca1
nixpkgs revision: 8eef699

Vladimír Čunát <vcunat at gmail.com> writes:
> On 01/21/2013 05:12 AM, Florian Friesdorf wrote:
>> I'm using the file to maintain branches "channel-nixos" of nixos and
>> nixpkgs, so I can develop new features based on a supposedly more stable
>> base.
>
> Oh, I'm using parts of those scripts as well. I was thinking of parsing
> http://hydra.nixos.org/jobset/nixpkgs/trunk instead (which would be more
> bandwidth-efficient), but your solution was easier.

Also a nice idea!

Am I correct, that the channel would be trunk-combined?
http://hydra.nixos.org/jobset/nixos/trunk-combined

>> Now as the channel only consists of nix expressions, no Manifest files
>> anymore, wouldn't it be sane to maintain it as a repository?
>>
>> One repo with nixos and nixpkgs as submodules?
>> Or probably better: nixpkgs as submodule of nixos?
>
> It might be useful to be able to have one commit change both nixos and
> nixpkgs. Dependencies between the repos aren't too frequent, but still I
> think they should be "seen" somehow.

nixpkgs is independent of nixos, nixos needs nixpkgs.

% du -sh dev/nixos/nixos
17M	dev/nixos/nixos

% du -sh dev/nixos/nixpkgs
152M	dev/nixos/nixpkgs

I think the size at least is not an argument for separate repositories.

Having separate repositories, it would be great to register the revision
of nixpkgs being used for nixos. Registering nixpkgs as a submodule for
nixos would achieve exactly that. However, there would be quite some
commits just for upgrading the submodule - I'm not sure how useful that
is.

On the other hand for hydra to publish what versions have been
successfully built together is definitely useful, but she does that
already.

Having to download 3.5MB for every channel update, while I only miss the
information what revisions to use, is as you say not bandwith efficient.

The hydra channel could be a git repository with two submodules
(nixpkgs, nixos) and hydra updates these in the "master" branch for
every attempted combined build. For every successful combined build it
moves the "tested" branch forward.

--
Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net>
  GPG FPR: 7A13 5EEE 1421 9FC2 108D  BAAF 38F8 99A3 0C45 F083
Jabber/XMPP: flo at chaoflow.net
IRC: chaoflow on freenode,ircnet,blafasel,OFTC