[Nix-dev] Templates

Nicolas Pierron nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 18:15:39 CEST 2013

Hi Malcolm,

You do not have to copy anything in the configuration.nix file or any
where, unless you have inter-dependencies, in which case it is best
filled by NixOS options.
The policy so far has been to provide a list of options (mkOption) for
the most common use cases, "extraConfig" for the infrequent options,
and "configFile" for large file with no external dependencies (such as
ups configs) or with secured content(*).

What you can do is add an option to subsitute the generated
configuration file for Riak to use the one provided by the
"configFile" option if it is defined.

(*) Any file containing protected content should be mentioned with a
string instead of a path, as a path will make a copy of the file.  In
such case this also change the behavior as you will need to handle the
version of this file on your own.

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 12:26 PM, Malcolm Matalka <mmatalka at gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to add Riak support to NixOS.  The config file is quite large and can
> be complex.  It also is a supported file type in my Emacs so I get pretty
> syntax highlighting.  Putting this inside Nix expressions losses this
> feature.  I think putting config files in Nix expressions is suboptimal.
>
> On Jun 26, 2013 9:20 PM, "Marc Weber" <marco-oweber at gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>> I don't get what's bad about nix, you can use import (but you know that).
>>
>> Nix should suppport: (I never tested it):
>>
>>   let config = import
>> "${derivation_reading_config_file_creating_nix_file}/the_generated_nix_file.nix":
>>
>> That's closest and works right now.
>>
>> Well of course you can just write ruby preprocessors turning your
>> templates into nix files, too.
>>
>> Or patching nix are options.
>>
>> But honestly I don't understand your use case.
>>
>> Marc Weber

Nicolas Pierron
http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicolasbpierron - http://nbp.name/