[Nix-dev] .so file containing INPUT(...)

Eelco Dolstra eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com
Wed Jul 31 12:31:56 CEST 2013

Hi,

On 27/07/13 20:14, Mathijs Kwik wrote:

> I'm upgrading the expression for wine to the latest version and investigating
> some (optional) dependencies wine claims to be missing.
>
> One of these is ncurses. Tracing the configure phase I found that our
> libncurses.so is a text file containing "INPUT(-lncursesw)"
>
> From the ncurses expression this seems to have been done deliberately and it's
> been there for a long time. On my system, I could not find other packages that
> use something similar, so I'm wondering what it's for and if it can be the cause
> for "gcc ... -lncurses" failing in wine's configure.

It's a directive for the linker to use libncursesw instead of libncurses.  On a
Fedora 13 machine I see these INPUT directives as well, e.g.:

/usr/lib64/libbfd.so:INPUT ( /usr/lib64/libbfd.a -liberty -lz )
/usr/lib64/libcurses.so:INPUT(-lncurses)
/usr/lib64/libcursesw.so:INPUT(-lncursesw)
/usr/lib64/libncurses.so:INPUT(libncurses.so.5 -ltinfo)
/usr/lib64/libncursesw.so:INPUT(libncursesw.so.5 -ltinfo)
/usr/lib64/libopcodes.so:INPUT ( /usr/lib64/libopcodes.a -lbfd )

etc.

However, Fedora and Ubuntu don't seem to unify libncurses and libncursesw.

--
Eelco Dolstra | LogicBlox, Inc. | http://nixos.org/~eelco/