[Nix-dev] Obfuscated TOR bridge is packaged. Please consider running it.

Patrick Wheeler patrick.john.wheeler at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 22:27:04 CEST 2013

How long does a tor relay/bridge(those are the same thing right?) have to
be up and running before it starts being fully utilized?

My naive assumption is that starting and stoping the bridge every few
seconds would not do anyone any good. So my question how long does it need
to up for it to be worth while?

Patrick

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 7:55 AM, <phreedom at yandex.ru> wrote:

> В письме от Вторник 11 июня 2013 09:03:13 пользователь Lluís Batlle i
> Rossell
> написал:
> > On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 04:00:28AM +0300, phreedom at yandex.ru wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Helping people in censorship-heavy countries has just gotten even
> easier.
> > >
> > > TOR in bridge mode now also runs obfsproxy which helps defeat those
> nasty
> > > DPI boxes in those countries which are actively trying to prevent
> people
> > > from using TOR.
> > >
> > > There are no known cases of non-exit node operators getting attacked by
> > > governments. Defeating censorship requires a vast and diverse pool of
> IP
> > > addresses, so please consider adding this to your configuration.nix on
> > > your
> > >
> > > internet-facing box:
> > >   services.tor.relay = {
> > >
> > >     enable = true;
> > >     isBridge = true;
> > >     port = 443;
> > >
> > >   };
> > >
> > > If you need help with a more complex setup, just ask me.
>
> > do you know if it can handle upnp or anything like that?
>
> No, not yet. You'd need to forward 3 ports: OR(443 in this case), obfs2 and
> obfs3 which you can glean from journalctl -u tor. It's better that you
> forward
> from/to the same port numbers.

Patrick Wheeler
Patrick.John.Wheeler at gmail.com