[Nix-dev] firefox 21 font rendering

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 14:20:58 CEST 2013

On 06/20/2013 02:07 PM, Mathijs Kwik wrote:
>>From the screenshots, it's clear that firefox 21 uses subpixel rendering.
> The 20 screenshot only has grayscale anti-aliasing.
>
> To me, the 21 rendering (in your screenshots) looks much better,
> sharper, clearer.

The point is that with system cairo you get consistent rendering in the
whole system. Now with infinality you can tweak the rendering style to
anything you want (or switch it off).

> But there are times when subpixel rendering does not work out well.
> - On a VGA output - because it lacks (sub)pixel-perfect targeting of
> output pixels
> - Some outputs don't have RGB subpixel order but BGR
> - When rotating your display, the default RGB subpixel rendering
> should change to V-RGB.
>    xrandr and other tools do not always detect this correctly

I think all this can be set. CRTs do have sub-pixels -- I admit that
subpixel rendering is not important there, but who really uses CRT nowadays.

Vlada