[Nix-dev] instructions for setting up apache + mediawiki is broken

Bjørn Forsman bjorn.forsman at gmail.com
Sat Jun 29 11:27:40 CEST 2013

On 29 June 2013 10:54, Bjørn Forsman <bjorn.forsman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28 June 2013 20:47, Bjørn Forsman <bjorn.forsman at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Today I tried setting up Apache + MediaWiki, following this guide:
>>
>> http://nixos.org/wiki/Setting_up_MediaWiki_%26_vhosts
>>
>> It says I should add this to configuration.nix:
>>
>> services.postgresql.enable = true;
>> services.httpd.enable = true;
>> services.httpd.adminAddr = "admin at example.org";
>> services.httpd.extraSubservices =
>>   [ { serviceType = "mediawiki";
>>       siteName = "My Wiki";
>>       logo = "http://www.example.org/wiki-logo.png"; # should be 135x135px
>>       extraConfig =
>>         ''
>>           # See http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Configuration_settings
>>           $wgEmailConfirmToEdit = true;
>>         '';
>>     }
>>   ];
>>
>> But when I nixos-rebuild it fails pretty bad. The build log is below.
>>
>> I tried to comment out the httpd config stuff and then I see that
>> having just "services.prostgresql.enable = true;" fails pretty badly
>> too.
>
> I've added "services.postgresql.package = pkgs.postgresql92;" to the wiki.
>
> http://nixos.org/wiki/Setting_up_MediaWiki_%26_vhosts

Ok, so now the configuration builds. Then the wiki says I should create users:

$ mediawiki-main-createAndPromote --bureaucrat God foobar

But that results in this error:
mediawiki: Creating and promoting User:God...DB connection error: No
database connection

Running with sudo doesn't help. PostgreSQL is running and I can
manually connect to the mediawiki database:

$ sudo psql mediawiki

So what is going on here? Is mediawiki broken in nixos or should I be
using a different version of postgresql?

- Bjørn