[Nix-dev] kbuildsococa4 & calligra

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 21:51:42 CET 2013

On 03/28/2013 06:46 AM, phreedom at yandex.ru wrote:
> Here we go again. It isn't even about calligra or other kde apps being unable
> to try loading "their" versions of libs. I'm sure you can patch it somehow.
>
> KDE heavily relies on frameworks and plugins, which in practice means that KDE
> regularly does stuff like loading some/all libs from $SOME_PLUGIN_DIR. If the
> plugin libs are compiled againt different versions of deps or api, it sometimes
> results in (not so )subtle breakage. Thus mixing new and old builds using nix-
> env is pretty much impossible.
>
> To fix this, you probably have to identify all plugin-based frameworks, put
> them into separate packages, and version the framework plugin dirs using
> framework's derivation hash or something like this.
>
> And of course, this can only fix crashes. You'll still have unintuitive
> behavior like packages sometimes stop sharing plugins when you update one of
> them.

Yes, but our KDE apps are probably mostly impure and they like to crash
because of it. That's not good as one can't rely on rollbacks etc. which
should be our hallmark. Moreover, our KDE does seem to be
unmaintained/unupdated for many months.

Other than KDE we only have xfce desktop in a good state (and perhaps
enlightenment)... this lack can discourage many users (especially less
advanced ones, who often expect to easily setup a full-blown desktop).
GNOME currently only contains several applications (especially the gtk-3
version).

Vlada