[Nix-dev] ghc-7.6.3 vs haskellPlatform collision

Sergey Mironov grrwlf at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 21:47:11 CET 2013

2013/11/6 Peter Simons <simons at cryp.to>:
> Hi Sergey,
>
> there is a long and detailed discussion of this issue at:
>
>   https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/commit/d64917ad17277b8e16893ee31533ec2e33446fa7
>
> The short answer is: replace ghcWithPackages with ghcWithPackagesOld for
> the time being.

Thanks! I now have an some understanding of what is happening. Didn't
look too deep under the hood, but ghcWithPackagesOld works great.

As a feedback: I usually use cabal to hack/build/install random
packages. Ideally, I'd like to have the three following things at
once: 1) GHC and a set of packages in system environment, 2) a set of
packages in user environment and 3) set of packages installed manually
with cabal on top of 1) and 2). AFAIK it was too hard to achieve, so
I've chosen 1) and 3) because it is more important for me to be able
to cabal install things directly to my ~/.cabal. Please, don't close
this way :)

Sergey