[Nix-dev] ZFS root boot

deCube.net | Danny Wilson danny at decube.net
Fri Nov 8 08:44:42 CET 2013

Hi list,

I have a machine with 5 disks in a ZFS raidz1 zpool. It would be great if I could boot from this.

I tried running the nixos installer by following the instructions in the documentation, but grub couldn’t read /boot (probably because of raidz1)
Next I tried giving every disk a small boot partition and creating raidz1 out of the remaining space.

This boots, but doesn’t get past Stage 1, busybox can’t mount /

Does anyone have nixos configuration examples of a ZFS root boot? :-)  I googled my ass off.

Cheers