[Nix-dev] Enabling CUPS unconditionally allows UDP/631 on the firewall

Moritz Ulrich moritz at tarn-vedra.de
Tue Nov 12 22:13:31 CET 2013

Peter Simons writes:

> Hi,
>
>  > Running sshd without port 22 open doesn't make much sense.
>
> well, I know at least one person who has a locally running SSH daemon
> for no reason other than being able to use "ssh root at localhost" as a
> fancy replacement for sudo. For that use case, it's not necessary (nor
> desirable) to have the firewall enable access from the outside world.
>
> Personally, I would argue that no service should open up ports in the
> firewall, ever. Only the administrator should do that.

I agree here. It's not transparent enough which ports are opened on the
NixOS firewall when you enable service.

Maybe there should be a convention that every service opening ports also
declares a 'port' attribute, enabling configurations like:

networking.firewall.allowedTCPPorts = [ services.sshd.port ];