[Nix-dev] how much disk do I need ?

phreedom at yandex.ru phreedom at yandex.ru
Sat Nov 16 01:40:44 CET 2013

On Friday, November 15, 2013 08:32:47 PM Roelof Wobben wrote:
> Hello,
>
> With the help of Bjorn I want to try to make Cinnamon 2.x avaible.
>
> But my question is
>
> How big must the partition be to install NixOS and have space for
> building Cinnamon.
>
> I have 4G memory. Do I still need a swap partition.

One gcc instance rarely needs more than 0.5gb, so the RAM requirement would be
0.5*cpu_core_count. For serious development work, 20GB of HDD space sounds
like a sane minimum, and you are very unlikely to actually find a use for more
than 30GB. You can use less than 20 GB, but I don't think your convenience is
worth 5-7GB saved even at SSD prices.