[Nix-dev] How to package Heroku Toolbelt?

Alex Berg chexxor at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 04:26:14 CET 2013

Thanks Vlad!

I added the following attribute in the `top-level/all-packages.nix` file,
right below the `ruby` attribute.

    rubyCurses = ruby.override { cursesSupport = true; };

Then I reinstalled Ruby and found success. Nice!

    $ nix-env --uninstall ruby
    $ nix-env --uninstall rubygems
    $ nix-env --install -A rubyCurses -f
/my-sources/pkgs/top-level/all-packages.nix
    $ sudo nix-env --install -A heroku-toolbelt -f
/my-sources/pkgs/top-level/all-packages.nix
    $ heroku
    # <Heroku command list - Success!>

Two final questions:

1) Why is "cursesSupport" disabled by default? Does it not work on most
systems? If a relatively popular package like Heroku requires "readlike",
which requires "curses", I believe Ruby should have this functionality
out-of-the-box.

2) I will rename this package from "heroku-toolbelt" to just "heroku",
because it doesn't include foreman or anything else. Can I make a "wrapper
package" called "heroku-toolbelt", which installs "heroku", "foreman" and
"git"?