[Nix-dev] Packaging Foreman

Alex Berg chexxor at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 10:03:42 CET 2013

As part of the Heroku Toolbelt, I need to make a Nix package for Foreman. I
am following the instructions to Install from Source [1]. The instructions
say that it has many package requirements:

    gcc-c++ git libvirt-devel mysql-devel pg-devel openssl-devel \
        libxml2-devel sqlite-devel libxslt-devel zlib-devel readline-devel \
        postgresql-devel

Am I right when I say - If I want to package Foreman, I must first package
all these dependent packages. ?

Related question: Does anyone know how to use the auto-generated Gem
packages? I can't find any docs. -
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/master/pkgs/development/interpreters/ruby/generated.nix

[1] http://theforeman.org/manuals/1.3/index.html#3.4InstallFromSource