[Nix-dev] Porting question

Roelof Wobben rwobben at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 22 07:19:17 CET 2013

> From: phreedom at yandex.ru
> To: nix-dev at lists.science.uu.nl
> Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 23:48:02 +0200
> Subject: Re: [Nix-dev] Porting question
>
> On Thursday, November 21, 2013 09:09:30 PM Roelof Wobben wrote:
>> I hope someone can explain to me the difference between dependencies which
>> are listed as first and buildinputs ??
>
> "as first"?

It mean this.

here is a build-script:

{ spellChecking ? true
, stdenv, fetchurl, pkgconfig, gtk, gtkspell ? null
, perl, pcre, gmime, gettext, intltool, dbus_glib, libnotify
}:

assert spellChecking -> gtkspell != null;

let version = "0.139"; in

stdenv.mkDerivation {
  name = "pan-${version}";

  src = fetchurl {
    url = "http://pan.rebelbase.com/download/releases/${version}/source/pan-${version}.tar.bz2";
    sha1 = "01ea0361a6d81489888e6abb075fd552999c3c60";
  };

  buildInputs = [ pkgconfig gtk perl gmime gettext intltool dbus_glib libnotify ]
    ++ stdenv.lib.optional spellChecking gtkspell;

  enableParallelBuilding = true;

  meta = {
    description = "A GTK+-based Usenet newsreader good at both text and binaries";
    homepage = http://pan.rebelbase.com/;
    maintainers = [ stdenv.lib.maintainers.eelco ];
  };
}

As far as I understand  these are the dependencies of this package :
{ spellChecking ? true
, stdenv, fetchurl, pkgconfig, gtk, gtkspell ? null
, perl, pcre, gmime, gettext, intltool, dbus_glib, libnotify
}:

But what does Buildinputs do then ? and when must I use it.

Roelof