[Nix-dev] Building 32bit java on 64bit system

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 08:47:31 CET 2013

On 10/31/2013 01:51 AM, shacka wrote:
> I don't need to have both in my $PATH, I just need 32bit version to get
> installed in order to run third-party binary that is 32bit.
>
> I'm getting the following error when trying to run the command you provided:
>
>      error: attribute `pkgsi686Linux' in selection path `pkgsi686Linux'
> not found

I don't understand why it says that. The attribute *is* there in current
master -- it has been there for very long time, and the command itself
works for me.

> (I must say I'm a little confused with notion of attributes, is there
> any good description describing them available?)

In nixpkgs we don't have just packages, but many other things (e.g.
functions), as it's written in a full language (called nix). Things in
there are denoted by these attribute names. They have to be unique, but
e.g. can "be hierarchical". You can find details in the nix manual
http://hydra.nixos.org/job/nix/trunk/tarball/latest/download-by-type/doc/manual

Vlada