[Nix-dev] NiJS package manager

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Tue Apr 1 12:52:10 CEST 2014

> http://sandervanderburg.blogspot.com/2014/04/asynchronous-package-management-with.html

> I have discovered that the Nix expression language is complicated and
> difficult to learn. Like Haskell, it has a solid theoretical foundation
> and powerful features (such as laziness), but it's too hard to learn by
> developers without an academic background.
What is this based on?

Which is the "async" problem you were faced by using Nix? Thus which
problem are you going to solve ?

I personally have use cases in mind such as querying a server knowing
about all ruby/python/haskell/perl/your-language-X packages - so that we
don't need to distribute 50.000 package descriptions (rubyforge case) or
similar.

But anyway: We have 3 solutions for describing packages:
nix, guix, nixjs

Thus eventually its time to think about which information could be
shared. Who would join a "software version documentation" project
allowing people to upload "the most recent version of my software is X,
and it requires Z, FOO, BAR" ?

Then some nix, nijs, guix packages could be derived automatically (like
haskell, ruby, xorg, .. packages). And all the other package systems
such as debian could benefit eventually, too.

Thoughts?

Marc Weber