[Nix-dev] Installing Nixos

Luca Bruno lethalman88 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 22:03:05 CEST 2014

On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 10:00 PM, Julio Cesar Campos <kabbalah100 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello, in the last week I have made 3 attempts to install NixOS following
> 2 pages which give some pointers on how to install this, the result NixOS
> grub does not recognize and does not start session.

It would be helpful if you reported the installation steps that you
performed and your disk partitions layout.

> I want to install this, but really the information for people who are not
> informatics but afiiconados GNU / Linux is sparse, there will be a chance
> of someone developing a generic configuration to install NixOS to be
> available at the time of the installation via the Manual?

What do you mean? nixos-generate-config should already generate a generic
configuration working for you.

> Another concern can be installed Gnome 3.12 from the beginning?

You need to use nixpkgs unstable, and set environment.gnome3.packageSet =
pkgs.gnome3_12;

Beware gnome3 in nixos is somewhat experimental, though it runs fine.