[Nix-dev] Nixos manual in PDF format

José Romildo Malaquias j.romildo at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 12:52:50 CEST 2014

On Fri, Aug 08, 2014 at 09:29:30PM +0200, Vladimír Čunát wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On 08/08/2014 12:05 PM, José Romildo Malaquias wrote:
> > I am looking for the nixos manual in PDF format. Is it available
> > anyhwere? Preferably for the unstable version.
>
> No, I don't think we build it.
>
> > If it is unavailable, it think it would be a nice addition to the
> > documentation project.
>
> IIRC there has been little care for PDF, as HTML is typically much more
> practical in this case when you do need a computer running anyway to do
> anything with NixOS.
>
> I guess conversion from HTML might be the fastest way currently (direct
> generation from the DocBook will be cleaner, though).

A PDF version (preferably directly generated from the source) is very
useful for studying.

I am currently studying the nixos related manuals, and I find it more
comfortable to read the manuals on paper. Usually I use pencil to make
some annotations and that helps the learning process. Later on I go back
to the computer to try what I have learned.

I have unsuccessfully tried to obtain the PDF from the DocBook
source.

Maybe one could add an option to generate it in the nixos manual
derivation. That would be nice.

Romildo