[Nix-dev] Keeping nixpkgs up to date

Paul Colomiets paul at colomiets.name
Fri Aug 29 15:26:36 CEST 2014

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 3:59 PM, Michael Raskin <7c6f434c at mail.ru> wrote:

> I would say that ZHF has some progress specifically because it is about
> reasonable efforts to improve signal-to-noise.
>
> If we want packages to get updated, we need to merge pull requests
> faster and not let pull requests linger in limbo. That would make
> sending PRs for updates look like a good idea (so less burden on
> maintainers to monitor updates). For complex questions, we should Cc:
> the maintainers of the packages in question (or of the most similar
> packages with maintainers) — but the idea is that more people should
> read pull requests. Once in a couple of weeks I find time to reduce the
> amount of pending PRs by a page. Five more people among committers to do
> the same and we'll have no pending PRs without good reason for
> a detailed discussion, I hope…

Well, I'm not the committer. But I think the problem with looking to
PR, is that there are 110 unsorted PRs. It's hard to look them all in
one go. And it's useless that all committers look at them all. If
there would be 11 groups of 10 PRs, it's easier to look at 10 PRs
several times a week.

--
Paul