[Nix-dev] Is anyone using Julia with PyPlot?

Andreas Herrmann andreash87 at gmx.ch
Tue Dec 2 12:07:32 CET 2014

On Monday 01 December 2014 18:19:38 Bjørn Forsman wrote:
> Might be that matplotlib runs with wrong (non-gui) default backend...? At
> least I had some issues with that when packaging gnuradio.

It does indeed `plt.get_backend()` returns "agg".
Thanks for that hint. I just noticed, that I misread the README of PyPlot. If I do the following it works properly:

    julia> using PyCall  # PyCall, not PyPlot
    julia> pygui(:qt)  # :wx works too
    julia> using PyPlot
    julia> plot([1,2,3],[1,2,4])  # Displays plot window

On Tuesday 02 December 2014 09:53:38 Michael Raskin wrote:
> Haven't yet launched X since your last email, but have you tried
> pygui(:wx)?

With the above it's working fine in the cli. The only remaining issue is with the IJulia notebooks. Plots are only shown inline if I explicitly display the figure object. I would expect this to happen the same way as in IPython just after a call to plot, as advertized in [1].

On Monday 01 December 2014 21:50:07 Domen Kožar wrote:
> Most probably related to https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/4500

I haven't tried GTK3, yet. But, for me plotting works fine in Python with qt4, and wx:

    >>> import matplotlib
    >>> matplotlib.use("Qt4Agg")  # Or "WXAgg"
    >>> import matplotlib.pylab as plt
    >>> plt.plot([1,2,3],[1,2,4])
    >>> plt.show()  # Shows the plot window

I'll take a closer look at it later.