[Nix-dev] NixOps, managing virtual hardware and network

Sergey Mironov grrwlf at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 11:34:57 CET 2014

> You'll have to create bridged networks in Virtualbox, one for each
> interface. Then you assign them to each VM.
>
> I'd just make an extra interface configurable and give your VMs a third
> interface. The other two are used for internet access and connecting from
> the host.
>
> To connect to a virtualbox host with nixops, just do "nixops ssh <system
> name>"
>
> Wout.

Hi Wout! I've finished the minimal setup I need using the design you
have suggested. The modifications allow virtual machines to
effectively 'monopolize' certain Host's adapters. I don't see any
notable interference between Host's and Guest's networking stacks.

The branch located at

  https://github.com/grwlf/nixops/tree/vb-bridged-interface

contains the following modifications:
1) deployment.virtualbox.hostBridgedInterface  - accepts host's
interface name to be bridged with interface #3 of a particular virtual
machine
2) deployment.virtualbox.guestBridgedMac - accepts MAC address of the
guest's adapter #3.

I think I should test the setup more closely before merge. For now I
will be glad to receive any comments (choice of names for parameters,
etc).

Thanks,
Sergey