[Nix-dev] Nix expression for closed-source scanner driver

Peter Jones mlists at pmade.com
Tue Dec 16 02:09:59 CET 2014

I'm working on a Nix expression to install a proprietary scanner driver
that is available as a Debian package.  After using `nix-env' to install
the package I'm still not able to see my scanner in the list produced by
`scanimage -L' or `sane-find-scanner'.

Here's the expression (WIP):

  https://github.com/pjones/nixpkgs/blob/pkg/brother/pkgs/misc/drivers/brother/dsseries.nix

Something interesting to note is that device files for the scanner show
up in /dev/bsg/ instead of the usual /dev/sg*.  I think that has
something to do with the scanner being detected as a disk.

I did have this working under Debian before switching to NixOS.  I also
still have a Debian install if I need to test anything or figure out
what's going on.

Any hint/tips would be appreciated.  Thanks.

--
Peter Jones, Founder, Devalot.com
Defending the honor of good code