[Nix-dev] How to get rid of systemd (was: Modifying the init system (introducing S6 supervision suite))

Anderson Torres torres.anderson.85 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 15:12:56 CET 2014

Yay! The idea is even better than I expected!

> Note that
> systemd is not just an init system.

This is my first problem - systemd is a bit bloated and mysterious.
I don't like the idea of big blobs doing everything on a system. It
becomes harder to maintain and modify, and even to modularize.

But, modifyng the way we treat about services and modules is
revolutionary! It is just like Nix is for package management, applied
to system maintainance :)

> As a final bonus this is so difficult and ugly to solve with systemd
> that we would feel a much greater temptation to get rid of it. =)
>
> Let me know what you think.  If this idea finds acceptance, I'm happy to
> develop a formal model and a prototype.

Well, we need also to do it in a way we won't be handcuffed by a
particular init/supervisor implementation. We can even to switch the
supervisor/init without worries about a complete rewriting of
services.

There is some I am searching about:
* http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/openrc/
* http://supervisord.org/
* http://uselessd.darknedgy.net/
* http://skarnet.org/software/s6/

Some comparisons:

* http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Comparison_of_init_systems
* https://lwn.net/Articles/578209/
* https://lwn.net/Articles/578210/

I am not even a junior-seasoned programmer, not even on functional
paradigm, but I wanna help.

> Greets,
> Ertugrul

Greets!