[Nix-dev] [***SPAM***] Re: How to get rid of systemd (was: Modifying the initsystem (introducing S6 supervision suite))

Michael Raskin 7c6f434c at mail.ru
Sat Dec 27 16:56:07 CET 2014

>You seem to have some very nice ideas about describing "services" (or
>something better), if still very rough around the edges. But if you
>can't implement your ideas on top of systemd, so much for
>init-agnosticism. And probably conceptual purity, too.

SystemD is more than just an init system, so it doesn't qualify as «init
system», so it is not in a reference class of things you should consider
when designing an init-agnostic system. UselessD support is a better
test, but an easier one.

Most cross-platform libraries actually limit their «platforms» to a few
32-bit and 64-bit OSes, and they are still considered cross-platform.

>What's left of your argument then, besides "I don't like the damner
>thing"? You'll be writing your own daemon supervision code before you
>know it. With more bugs.

There is a _ton_ of supervision suites not eager to manage everything
else; so writing new supervision code is optional.

>Those who don't understand systemd are doomed to reinvent it. Poorly. :-)

Actually, no. A set of dirty hacks will still be less tightly coupled
than SystemD. As we see, I am not the only one for whom a large part of
SystemD functionality is actively harmful, and then there is nothing to
reinvent.