[Nix-dev] fetchgit with ssh

Sönke Hahn SoenkeHahn at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 06:40:55 CET 2014

Hi,

I am trying to use fetchgit to package code that is available in git-repos.
I am using for example this expression:

pkgs.fetchgit {
    url = "git at github.com:jekor/haskell-sscgi.git";
    rev = "1547156d7199bdf40a837040a905d9b6b771dd26";
}

This does not work, the error message being:

error: cannot run ssh: No such file or directory
fatal: unable to fork
error: cannot run ssh: No such file or directory
fatal: unable to fork

Is this not supported by fetchgit? Is there anything I can do about it?

I tried to bring ssh in the PATH somehow, but I didn't manage. Can I include
the openssh package to make it visible to fetchgit?

I also tried out https-urls. The problem is that not all repos that I need
to access are public. So I have to provide some authentication. For ssh I
can just put keys in .ssh, but for https in this setting, I'm not sure if
it's even possible.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,
Sönke