[Nix-dev] Nixpkgs monitor moved!

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 17:31:40 CET 2014

On 01/14/2014 05:09 PM, Eelco Dolstra wrote:
> Unless the commits are performed automatically by a daemon or something, it does
> *not* make sense to set Author to "Nixpkgs Monitor".  I use all sorts of tools
> to help me make patches (say nix-generate-from-cpan), but I don't put that in
> the Author field.

No flame intended, please! If someone comes with a practical way how to
use this to make the first committer the author, I don't mind at all
(the fact that it's from nixpkgs-monitor can be e.g. at the end of the
message body).

> Right now I get all these commit emails from "Nixpkgs Monitor", and I have no
> idea who did those commits.

Regardless of this issue, I think the emails really should show the
committer if it differs from the author, just as github does, e.g.
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/commit/36c0702156

---- TL;DR

For *completely generated* commits, I see little value in the
information who first run the generator (author)... rather just who
pushed it into the tree (committer). Rather I find it useful to know
that it was completely generated.

My idea (in DVCS systems) is that committer is the one with more
responsibility, and the author doesn't even have a clue that we're using
a patch that (s)he originally authored... but perhaps it's just me; it
can definitely differ in a different context.

Vlada