[Nix-dev] Nixpkgs monitor moved!

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Wed Jan 15 10:21:43 CET 2014

Hi Phreedom,

 > I could try solving it at the UI level, store the desired author in a
 > cookie... it's quite cumbersome nevertheless.

I was thinking the same thing. There already is a select box that contains
all known "maintainers". It shouldn't be too hard to add another field where
people can select any one of those items to be used in the From: line of the
generated patch. People who aren't listed as maintainers still need a way to
enter their name & address, though.

Storing that selection in a cookie seems like a good idea.

 > Would be much easier if git am was smarter :(

It's also possible to re-set the author fields of a whole bunch of commits
before pushing the changes:

  git filter-branch --env-filter 'export GIT_AUTHOR_NAME="Joe Doe" GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL=joe at example.com' origin/master..master

Take care,
Peter