[Nix-dev] Is NixOS a practical proposition for me?

Colin Adams colinpauladams at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 10:33:04 CET 2014

NixOS attracts me, but I wonder how much work I would have to do to get the
software installed that I normally use. I am a developer, and I'm prepared
to invest a certain amount of time (of the order of, say weeks, rather than
hours or months) to get things working, but I'd like to know if it's a
realistic prospect.

So I have two machines I'd like to convert:

1) An Apple MacBook Air (second revision - i.e 2008). Currently running
Fedora 14 (I can't get 16, 17 or 18 to boot). The software I'd like to run
on it would be:

GNOME 3
Darktable
XBoard + HaChu
Google Chrome
A PDF reader (preferably Adobe)

so it's quite a short list, but judging from the home page, there will be a
lot to do.

2) My desktop - a Xeon quad-processor machine currently running Fedora 18.
The software I'd like to run on it:

Citrix Java client (I need this for work, so this is a must).
Emacs
GNOME 3
Darktable
GIMP