[Nix-dev] Is NixOS a practical proposition for me?

Philip Carlsen plcplc at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 12:30:47 CET 2014

Hi there.

I can attest that both google chrome (or chromium at least) and the Haskell
toolchain is working fine for me, though handling my haskell development
and dependencies through nix takes a bit getting used to, though I found it
really worthwhile given all the problems with dependencies and versioning
that it solves.

I can also attest that ffmpeg works (at least i've used it for resampling
and interfacing with libvorbis)

I don't know much about running nixos on macs or what many of your other
programs really are though. But if you have a developer background and are
willing to dedicate a week of learning and working and can maybe accept a
few compromises I think you make a decent progress with your list.

What I'm most worried about though is citrix and its critical priority to
you. But that's mostly based on my previous experiences with the linux
citrix client's hideous quality. I had a great deal of trouble just with
Arch linux the last time I used it.

But good luck even so :-) My experience with the nixos community is that
it's helpful and growing steadily.