[Nix-dev] hydra admins: please take care of i686 GHC out of memory issues

Gergely Risko gergely at risko.hu
Mon Jan 27 14:25:54 CET 2014

On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 14:36:26 +0100, Rob Vermaas <rob.vermaas at gmail.com> writes:

> I have no idea what could be the problem, perhaps it is related to
> some system setting, e.g. kernel.

I've installed a 64-bit and a 32-bit virtual machine with nixos last
week, just so that I can try building i686-linux ghc in both.

My machines managed to reproduce exactly this hash (that fails on
hydra): http://hydra.nixos.org/build/8427491

/nix/store/x1h3f7fg0ci9ybgs793v3x772k68jpbl-ghc-7.6.3

i686 5/5 times, amd64 7/7 times.  Without any out of memory issues.

So this must be some system setting issue on Hydra machines.  How should
we debug this?  Can you please show my a "sysctl -a" output and a
"ulimit -a" output in the same environment as being used by the GHC
build on Hydra?  Alternatively, is there some README/wiki/etc on setting
up an exact replica of ike or kenny for testing?  Or can you make an LVM
snapshot of one of them and upload it somewhere (I can provide the space
for it of course)?

Not having an i686 GHC (and therefore git-annex, etc.) in binary cache
is a really big issue for me :(  So I'm happy to do what it takes to fix it.

Gergely