[Nix-dev] Maintainership

Petr Rockai me at mornfall.net
Tue Jan 28 18:15:20 CET 2014

Oliver Charles <ollie at ocharles.org.uk> writes:

>> * If a package is unmaintained, it can be removed with minimal notice.
>>   This will require some time under the new idea of maintainership
>>   before it can be fairly put into place, but Eelco had the suggestion
>>   that no maintainers could be treated equivalently to meta.broken =
>>   true.
>
> In Debian, I would imagine they can make use of the popularity contest
> or whatever it is to see if people are even using this. Is it worth that
> we consider having the ability to gather metrics like that? Removing
> things from our package database should be more conscious than "is this
> supported" and should really be considering "do people need this?".

Even Debian removes packages that people need if none of those people
are willing or able to maintain them. Packages are a liability,
especially when they are left to rot. And I'm sure it's pretty hard to
come up with a package that many people want but none can maintain.

--
id' Ash = Ash; id' Dust = Dust; id' _ = undefined