[Nix-dev] Maintainership

Jan Malakhovski oxij at oxij.org
Wed Jan 29 23:28:39 CET 2014

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 11:44:40 -0800
James Cook <james.cook at utoronto.ca> wrote:

> How about deleting the expression but leaving a note about where to
> find it?  For example, in all-packages.nix:
>
>   my_package = unmaintained "0123abcd";
>
> and then
>
>   $ nix-env -i my-package
>   my-package was deleted because it is unmaintained.  If you would
> like to restore it, the last commit that contained the expression was
> 0123abcd....

And restoring a package would mean reverting the patch and then
fixing the expression. Also this would probably mean less merge
conflicts then rebasing my branch with reverts and fixes on top of
nixpkgs since the line with my_package would still be there and would
split any changed chunks around it.

That's clever. And not too much pain. I could handle that in case my
package got removed.

Some of the people here don't want to drag all the old broken stuff
and want to force maintainers update their stuff so that at least the
expressions evaluate, that's understandable. I fear for the
duplication of work. This 'unmaintained' derivation should make
everyone happy.

Cheers,
  Jan