[Nix-dev] Help me understand how to fix this installation (haskell package roman-numerals)

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Fri Nov 7 19:51:41 CET 2014

Hi Carlo,

 > Configuring roman-numerals-0.5.1.4...
 > Setup: At least the following dependencies are missing:
 > text >=0.11 && <1.2

it would be great if you could contact the authors of that package to
inform them about this issue so that they can release an update.

Meanwhile, you can probably work around the build failure by adding the
flag "--jailbreak" to the cabal2nix command line when generating the
expression. This will make the build ignore the upper boundary.

 > Should I package also a version of text pre 1.2.0.0? What are naming
 > conventions in this case?

We have versions 0.11.0.5, 0.11.0.6, 0.11.1.5, 0.11.2.0, 0.11.2.3,
0.11.3.1, and 1.1.1.3 packaged in Nix already. Generally speaking,
though, you should almost always avoid using an older version. It's much
better for everyone to make the package build with the most recent
version (which is oftentimes just a matter of ignoring the restrictions
from the Cabal file).

Best regards,
Peter