[Nix-dev] Introducing nox and nox-review

Georges Dubus georges.dubus at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 13:46:24 CET 2014

Hello everyone.

I just realized I've never properly announced nox on the mailing list, so
here it comes.

I'm happy to present the nox tools suite, which is a set of tools designed
to improve the use of Nix and NixOS. The code can be found at
https://github.com/madjar/nox, and nox is available in nixpkgs as the "nox"
attribute. There are already two tools that should make your life easier.

"nox" itself is a command line tool that help you search nixpkgs to install
packages. It's basically a nicer version of the old "nix-env -qaP | grep",
with caching to make search faster, color, and a few other niceties.

"nox-review" is a tool designed to help those who work on nixpkgs.
"nox-review pr PR_NUMBER" downloads a pull request, merges it in master,
and build every single path affected by the pull request (each package
changed by the pr, and all their dependencies). This makes it easy for a
reviewer to build a pull request before merging it, and allow them to make
sure that nothing unexpected was broken by a pull request. "nox-review
wip", on the other hand, can be used to make sure the changes introduced in
a nixpkgs working tree don't break anything.

I hope you can make a good use of those tools, especially "nox-review pr"
which I hope can improve the reliability of nixpkgs by making it easier to
catch breakage early.

Cheers
--
Georges