[Nix-dev] Can't log back in immediately in kdm and lightdm

Joseph Joe joej at reed.edu
Sun Nov 16 06:59:03 CET 2014

I put the single line "xterm" in my .xsession file.

Then, if I choose the xterm (or xfce) session in kdm, I still get the same
results, a blank screen that eventually returns to the login page.

I can login/logout fine in a virtual console. Also, If I am logged into a
virtual console, I can login and out on the graphical console fine.

This is my .xsession-errors file:

/nix/store/c9y4apb5shpj75zpwmbmm5vshwszpwqh-xrdb-1.1.0/bin/xrdb: colon
missing on line 1, ignoring line
/nix/store/c9y4apb5shpj75zpwmbmm5vshwszpwqh-xrdb-1.1.0/bin/xrdb: colon
missing on line 4, ignoring line
/nix/store/c9y4apb5shpj75zpwmbmm5vshwszpwqh-xrdb-1.1.0/bin/xrdb: colon
missing on line 6, ignoring line
/nix/store/c9y4apb5shpj75zpwmbmm5vshwszpwqh-xrdb-1.1.0/bin/xrdb: colon
missing on line 10, ignoring line
/nix/store/c9y4apb5shpj75zpwmbmm5vshwszpwqh-xrdb-1.1.0/bin/xrdb: colon
missing on line 29, ignoring line
/nix/store/c9y4apb5shpj75zpwmbmm5vshwszpwqh-xrdb-1.1.0/bin/xrdb: colon
missing on line 32, ignoring line
/nix/store/rqfg4w9xq2hj3d86wmcpjg6nc4y5jx29-xsession: Window manager 'xfce'
not found.
xrdb: colon missing on line 8, ignoring line
xrdb: colon missing on line 11, ignoring line
xrdb: colon missing on line 13, ignoring line
xrdb: colon missing on line 17, ignoring line
xrdb: colon missing on line 36, ignoring line
xrdb: colon missing on line 39, ignoring line

Sometimes, the highlighted part also says "Window manager 'xterm' not found.

Also, for some reason, the command "cat .xsession-errors" in a virtual
console returns the error message "Failed to inhibit: Acces denied"