[Nix-dev] NixOps, managing virtual hardware and network

Sergey Mironov grrwlf at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 14:41:59 CET 2014

Hi, List! Please, help me to decide what deployment tools (NixOps?) to
use for the
following task:

I'd like to build a test server for testing a hardware NAT device. The server
should be a Host machine hosting 2-4 Virtual machines. Every Virtual machine
should have 2 ethernet adapters: first one should be bound to Host's physical
adapter (the network traffic emulator), the second  one should be connected
to the internal virtual network (the management interface).

The exact set of software deployed onto Virtual machines depends on particular
test scenario, but it typically includes some http, ftp, voice, video
broadcasting
servers and clients.

Does NixOps have required functionality to fit into this task? Does it allow
specifying configuration for the Host and it's guest machines in one
expression (I assume VirtualBox to be a virtualization container)?
What about tweaking VirtualBox hardware?

Should I consider looking at other deployment tools?

Thanks in advance,
Sergey