[Nix-dev] Will there be a systemd replacement at any time inthe future?

Michael Raskin 7c6f434c at mail.ru
Tue Sep 2 00:28:34 CEST 2014

>On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 12:26 AM, Michael Raskin <7c6f434c at mail.ru> wrote:
>>>As a sysadmin, I love systemd and journald. If you want to maintain lots of
>>>disparate things and look all over the OS while troubleshooting, good for
>>>you, but systemctl and journalctl make life so much easier. Upstart is a
>>>very poor substitute.
>>
>> What are the keys for journalctl to make it work? Because it wants to
>> read hundreds of megabytes of data just for showing me last 20 lines of
>> some log — way worse than tail.
>>
>> Also, could you submit a patch that makes systemd log stderr of services
>> reliably (stdout too)? We had it with Upstart, but with Systemd it got
>> lost and I am not sure how to make it automatic for all services.
>>

>Well, what's make it unreliable? I think systemd always logs
>stdout/stderr. And it's seen with "journalctl -u NAME" and "systemctl
>status NAME".

vsftpd stderr doesn't get logged if the daemon fails due to
misconfiguration.

Logging worked fine with upstart.

>May be I've not logged hundreds of megabytes to systemd yet. Does't
>break when traffic is too high?

This is not that much, actually, for a notebook — dmesg adds up very
quickly.

It is all fine on a SSD, but no other my task needs an SSD so I have
a HDD. Journald hates notebooks with HDDs.